Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ten Songs From My Childhood Which Prove That I Was A Pretty Cool Kid

by Listmaster Flash

I'm going to put it out there. I was a pretty awesome kid. That is if you cancel out the fact that I was at one point quite fat, had dyed orange hair, and wore fake 'Dada' branded clothing purchased from Sydney's Parklea Markets (ok maybe I wasn't actually that cool). Thanks to incredible Australian music programs such as the ABC's now extinct Recovery, and late night Rage, I was exposed to a plethora of excellent music at a very early age. Here is a list of songs in no specific order, that prove that the one thing I had going for me as an 8 year old was a decent music taste.


1. Dance In Chicago - Mach Pelican
Australia's favourite Japanese import, the now defunct Mach Pelican allowed me to release my inner punk. The hilarious mispronunciations ("Everybody wanna dance siskaygo") and non-sensical lyrics within this song make it even more enjoyable.

2. Sherry Fraser - Marcy Playground
A few years ago I bought Marcy Playground's self titled album, mainly due to my memories of their hit song Sex and Candy. Not only did I discover an excellent album, but I rediscovered a childhood favourite which I had completely forgotten about. I used to have the video for Sherry Fraser taped on VHS from a late night rage playlist, and would watch it over and over. It is still just as beautiful to me now as it was then.

3. Shake Your Booty - Public Enemy
Public Enemy's performance (which I have not seen since) on Recovery was the triggering point of my deep relationship with them. While this song is undoubtedly quite out of character for PE, as an 8 year old kid I had never seen anything like it, especially with a man with a giant clock rolling around on the ground. Embarrassing side note, I also cried as an 8 year old kid when my mum would not let me buy the single for this track.

4. Black Bugs - Regurgitator
Another discovery made through Recovery, this song introduced me to a range of awesome Regurgitator material, and also to the awesomeness of the keytar.

5. Buy Me A Pony - Spiderbait
Catering to my short attention span as a child, Spiderbait pumped out song after song that was extremely short and catchy. Buy Me A Pony is the epitome of that; 1 minute and 45 seconds of straight out rock.

6. Hitchin' A Ride - Green Day
The first single I ever purchased, this is reminder of when this band was actually any good. I don't know if I ever felt as rebellious as when I would join in screaming "my tongue is swelling up I say shiiiiiitttttt!"

7. Whatareya? - TISM
By now you are maybe questioning why my parents let me listen to this stuff, and if you weren't, now you definitely will be. TISM is perhaps the last band a kid should be listening to, but it was hard not to find these masked musicians utterly hilarious, especially with songs like this.

8. Everyday Should Be A Holiday - The Dandy Warhols
I was out the other night and this song got played, bringing back memories of the splendid performance on Recovery that made me love it so much. And you are right Dandy Warhols, it would be very nice if everyday was a holiday.

9.The Day You Come - Powderfinger
While the quality of Powderfinger's recent music can easily be criticised, tracks like this can't. This childhood favourite is proof that average bands still can make wonderful tracks.

10. Don't You Know Who I Am - Happyland
Combining two of my favourite childhood bands into one supergroup? Yes Please! While their career was very short lived, Quan (Regurgitator) and Janet (Spiderbait) wrote a few great poppy songs, this being by far the best. Happyland's utilisation of animal suits made them seem even cooler to me as a kid.

yoursongplayer

No comments:

Post a Comment