Sunday, October 11, 2009

10 Songs Which Make Me Believe That Owning A Firearm Would Make Me Thrice The Person I Currently Am

by nickjameslangley

In no particular Order:

1. In Our Gun - Gomez
It's fairly clear to me that the reason "sore throat man" of Gomez has his vocal tone is due to him owning a firearm. This is yet to be verified by any organisation more pre-eminent than my vivid imagination.
youtube
2. Machine Gun - Jimi Hendrix
Not only did James Marshall Hendrix actually serve in the army - therefore gracing him with super human abilities - but he felt the need to desert his nation's armed forces to put his super powers to better use. I wasn't at the live recording of "Band of Gypsys", but I'm sure if I had been, and my eyes were closed, and I was on the same concoction of hallucinogens that Jimi was on, I probably would've believed he was wielding a gun during this song.
youtube
3. War Begun - My Morning Jacket
The live renditions of this song in particular give me confidence that there are many often unmentioned positives to war. Let me think of one off the top of my head. Without wars, there'd be a serious drop in awesome songs of the past and present. For this reason, I condone gun-wielders in the war, but those pricks on ships can rack right off.
youtube
4. Big Man With A Gun - Nine Inch Nails
The closer that I can get to becoming Trent Reznor, the better. I'd like to think that the Big Man With A Gun is him. He seems pretty happy about it in the song...well, from what I can gather amongst the fuzz and noise. Score one (1) for Weaponry.
youtube
5. Bop Gun (Endangered Species) - Parliament
Owning a firearm is not all about blood and guts. These guys seem perfectly gay and jolly singing about their bop guns. I'm sure that through their ridiculous wigs, obscene clothing and outrageous props, they are fully aware of the responsibility required to own and maintain a weapon.
youtube
6. Machine Gun - Portishead
It's not a cover! Let's just get that straight. If I could have any sort of sign that machine guns - or hand guns for that matter - allow me to produce music like Portishead, I'm ordering no fewer than one from a shady online dealer in Mexico. This song, like Hendrix's, tries to recreate the piercing thud of rounds being fired. It gets my senses tingling.
youtube
7. Guns. Guns...Guns - Portugal. The Man.
It's clear to me that these guys are proficient with punctuation. It doesn't take a genius to decipher that much. But is it a coincidence that this mob hail from Alaska? And that Alaskans are renowned alcoholics? And there is a direct correlation between alcoholism and membership in the National Rifle Association (NRA) in American states? That's what I thought.
youtube
8. Guns of Memorial Park - Sparta
Okay. So they're just an undercooked and less heralded At The Drive-In. Let's not go making rash claims that firearms caused this. Jim Ward still enjoys rocking out. I'm willing to bet he's shot a can or two in his time.
youtube
9. Borrowed Your Gun - Spiritualized
Jason Pierce is so badarse (ass for all the Americans reading, of which I'm positive there are many.) he doesn't feel the need to even OWN a gun, he just borrows his father's. That is the kind of constraint I hope to exercise should I ever act on my relentless urge to deal with the aforementioned Shady Mexican.
10. Me & A Gun - Tori Amos
Ah, ending with an A Capella track. A classy touch, me. While I could make completely inappropriate comments about how a gun potentially enables me to rape American singer/songwriters, I will counter that point. If Tori Amos had a weapon on her, she would've been in a far better position than she sings about in her song about her scarring ordeal with a rapist. She brought a bunch of pathetic slaps to a gun fight. Had she bought an automatic rifle, there would have been no rape.
youtube

2 comments: