Monday, October 12, 2009

10 Rap Tracks Which Are Guaranteed To Make Me Throw My Hands In The Air Like I Just Don't Care

by Listmaster Flash

These are the 10 songs that no matter my present situation, force me into some form of hip-hop dancing. Whether that be an out of control chest pump, or an attempted head-spin all depends on the song and my current mood.

10. Rock The Bells - LL Cool J
From the second that first line of "LL Cool J is hard as hell" kicks in, I envision myself in a break dance circle in early 1980's New York, decked in Puma Clydes, bell bottom jeans and a bomber jacket. LL's killer rhymes coupled with the bass heavy beat provide you with that brief moment of belief that you are indeed a member of a break dancing crew.

9. D. Original - Jeru the Damaja
The 'Original Dirty Rotten Scoundrel' Jeru the Damaja, and his DJ Premier produced beats induce an out of control head bop and hand wave. Jeru's flow is incredible, and when combined with Premier's abstract beats, the result is a completely unique and contagious hip hop experience. If you don't possess the album 'The Sun Rises in The East', make it your daily task to do so.

8. Me Myself and I - De La Soul
Not only does this song make me want to break into the robot, but the video makes me wish that I could also sport a slanting flat top. The Funkadelic sample can perhaps be credited with why this song is so damn funky and addictive.
youtube

7. The Next Episode - Dr. Dre
Some hip-hop purists may disagree with this inclusion, but the combination of Snoop, Dre, Nate Dogg and a dope beat is a winning one, guaranteed to induce an attempted 'crip walk'.

6. What's Golden - Jurassic 5
I can't really think of any thing this song does wrong. An organ driven beat, Public Enemy samples, and some immaculate rhymes shared between the four mc's is a successful formula. R.I.P J5.

5. Shake Your Rump - Beastie Boys
"'Is your name Michael Diamond?' No mines Clarence". Not only does this track has one of my favourite lines ever, but it also makes me do exactly what the title says and shake my rump. And to add to that, the end of the track provides a rare opportunity to scream "hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooe" at the top of your lungs and not get slapped for it.

4. Excursions - A Tribe Called Quest
A Tribe Called Quest are just so cool, that's all I think about when I hear this track. Some cool double bass, some cool horns and some damn cool lyrics lead to me doing some pretty cool (in my eyes) dancing.

3. Ain't Nothin' Ta Fuck Wit - Wu-Tang Clan
RZA, GZA, Method Man, Raekwon, ODB, Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck, U-God, Masta Killa and Cappadona, thank you so much for creating a track which makes me feel that I have a huge posse following me everywhere I go. The second the beat kicks in both my arms shoot into the air and do a double arm bounce (think 8-mile but with both arms). However this is not very safe while driving....
youtube

2. Hip-hop - Dead Prez
Another car driving favourite. The second this comes on my radio, my shitty $300 car suddenly has hydraulics and I am bouncing uncontrollably and rhyming "Who shot Biggie Smalls if we don't get em they gonna get us all, I'm down for runnin' up on them crackers in they city hall."

1. By The Time I Get To Arizona - Public Enemy
No artist has had more of an impact on my life that Public Enemy. From the first time I saw them on Australian music program 'Recovery' as an 8 year old, to the time I rebelliously threw my middle finger up at their concert as a 13 year old, they are one of the loves of my life. This track's distored bass and guitar melody, gospel choir loops, riot screams, dense drum tracks and Chuck's furious rhyming creates a chaotic but contagious track which is ideal for waving your hands, fists, middle fingers or whatever tickles you fancy from side to side.

No comments:

Post a Comment